Bisan is a Canaanite city that means the “home of gods”. Its history can be traced to more than 6000 years. It is located on a high land in the western side of the valley, 5 miles east the Jordan River, between Tabariah, Al-Nassera, Nabless, and Janeen.
First who lived in Bisan were the Canaanites. The city has a great environmental, economical, and strategic reputation as a result as its location on the trading road between Egypt and Al-Sham.
Bisan witnessed the stages of occupation of Palestine since the dawn of history, and been ruled by many empires and nations. The British Mandate was the last to rule the city before giving the city to the Zionist occupation.
British invaded the city in 20/9/1918 after winning World War one.
Bisan participated with her sister cities in all conferences, protests, and revolutions against the British Mandate and Zionism.
Jews took the city in 12/5/1948 before the Britain’s left the country, and armed Zionist organizations forced its people to leave the city and threw them on the Syrian and Lebanon borders, then they recked down the city and renewed it in May, 1949. Bisan’s size is 28957 Donms, although its population is 1941 person in 1922 A.D, in 1948 they were about 6009.
Israel has built many settlements on the land of Bisan. The lands of Bisan contains important historic landmarks that signify its great importance throughout history.